Mandala Apothecary is high-performance holistic hair, body, and self care based in aromatherapy and chakra healing
Our products have 3 underlying principles:
- They need to work, and work well. High performance is paramount. If it doesn’t work, there’s no point in making it.
- They need to be holistic. To us, holistic means eco-friendly, responsibly-sourced, cruelty-free, and naturally plant-derived. Good for you, good for the planet.
- They are based in aromatherapy and chakra healing. Essential oils are, well, essential to our philosophy. They have therapeutic properties and can be used to heal troubled bodies. Plus they smell amazing! Chakras are subtle energy centers in our bodies emitting low intensity vibrations. These vibrations can be adjusted using crystals, reiki, aromatherapy and or meditation to restore balance and harmony and heal our troubled spirit.
Our products are made in small batches, often only 5 gallons at a time to ensure freshness. Many come from a woman-owned and wind-powered factory in Portland, Oregon. Others are made in a Leaping Bunny Certified facility committed to sustainability, also in Oregon. And a rare few are carefully curated from around the world when only that local region produces the best responsibly-sourced fair-trade product.
Mandala Apothecary is owned and led by a female licensed cosmetologist and certified aromatherapist based in Minnesota, and like most hairstylists, she is also a product snob. Hence, principle number one. 😉
Most of our base products are unscented and can be left fragrance-free or scented with any of our natural fragrances or essential oil BioActive Blends. Our natural fragrances are 100% natural, DPG, phthalate- and alchohol-free.
I encourage you to browse around and find something that speaks to you.
About our Founder
As a child of the Seventies, being eco-friendly (and a bit of a hippie) is in my blood…
My dad is a builder and during my childhood he had a company building earth shelter homes and geodesic domes. He was ahead of his time. My mom had always made her own cleaning solutions with water and vinegar and a splash of peppermint or orange essential oil.
Growing up we always had a garden and let the toads and spiders keep our plants healthy and bug-free, as I do in my own garden today. Now I fill my organic vegetable garden with my own hydroponically-started non-GMO seedlings and am slowly-but-surely transforming my urban yard to all-edible landscaping.
I’ve been using essential oils long before they were mainstream. In fact, the only place I could go to buy them back in the 80’s was at a store that also sold witchcraft supplies and spellbooks! I am currently studying to add Reiki Master to my credentials and follow many Ayurvedic principles in my daily life.
When I went to cosmetology school, it could only be the Aveda Institute because they shared my whole-body wellness mindset. I graduated with honors in April of 2000.
When it comes to beauty products, I am extremely selective. So much so that I could not find products that I felt were natural enough in the mass-marketplace and through salon distributors, so I created my own line of natural hair and body products I call Mandala Apothecary. My products are made with sustainable, botanical ingredients that WORK, and are free of synthetic fragrances and other harsh ingredients.
I am now excited to take it to the next level with my salon in three ways:
- by sending the hair clippings to Matter of Trust. org to be used to clean up oil spills
- recycling the foils used in highlighting at Express Metals in Hopkins, MN (my household recycling does not recycle aluminum foil so I must send it out)
- offering 10% off when you refill your plastic containers with any of my bulk products (in-salon only)
I am always looking for ways to be thoughtful to the world we live in and welcome ideas for other ways to keep it beautiful.